Bug Soup

A Broth of Rambling Thoughts ( with some morsels of 'silly' thrown in for flavor)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Holiday Shopping - Part One - The Grocery Store

Angel Of the Aisle

I was at the Grocery today, at 4:30 , two days before Thanksgiving.

Yes!
It was a madhouse!

We are going to Steve's folks Thursday, and I am bringing a pie and a sweet potato dish,
so I needed a few things, but didn't need to do the whole shopping.
Figured I could bop in quickly and get back out. *LAUGH*

It wasn't too bad actually, though it was really crowded.

So there I am in the baking aisle, with about half the folks who live in my town.
It is cart gridlock, and though folks are trying to be nice, we are all trying to dance around each other for what we need, and it's hard.

Redhead Lady accidentially taps my heel with her basket when I stop short ( no brakelights on my butt) for an old guy who bent over right in the path of my cart. Luckily it barely tapped me and didn't hurt. She looked horrified, and apolagized like crazy, I smiled told her it was fine, didn't hurt me, and it was crowded , so no problem.
Redhead Lady told me that she'd just come from WalMart, and that it was worse over there, "And they're out of everything.!"
"It's that Season." I said with a smile.

And ya know, I was feeling really good. Not at all stressed, the crowded ailse wasn't bothering me, so I just kept smiling. Some of those poor folks looked like they had been shopping all day, but me? I felt fine.

So I'm trying to find what I need, and CuteLady in Scrubs says to me.
"Do you have any idea where the seasoned bread crumbs are? I've been looking all over."
"I'd think they'd be on this ailse somewhere"
And there they were, right behind her head.
She thanked me like I'd really helped her, saying she was so tired she was lost.
I smile again ( still) and tell her, " You're Welcome."

Then a woman in her 50's who looks just like June Cleaver says to me. " Since you're so helpful, maybe you could help me find the Martha White mexican style cornbread, I've been looking all over for it."
Well sure I could! In fact if I hadn't been standing in front of it she may have seen it.
I turned around, looked at the shelf, picked up what she needed and handed it to her.

That was the moment June declared me the "Angel of the Aisle!"
Cute Scrub Lady, and Redhead Lady both started laughing, I started laughing.
I said, " Hey, maybe I should just stay here for awhile and be helpful!"
They all agreed that was an excellant idea.
They moved on the other ailses with smiles all around. I finished grabbing my spices and finished up in the store.

As I was leaving, June Cleaver, who was in the next check out over, wished me a Happy Thanksgiving with a warm smile.

One other small thing.
In the parking lot as I was putting my stuff in the trunk there was an old guy next to me putting his stuff in the back of a pick-up. He looked kinda grumpy, so I didn't say anything to him. Then just as I was finishing up and closing my trunk, he came over and took my basket, smiled and said,
" Let me put this up for you."
He took my cart back to the corral for me!
I said " Thank You!" with a big smile, and waved at him as we left the parking lot.

In closing, 3 things.


It's the season!

Don't you wish you lived in my town!?

Happy Thanks giving!

13 Comments:

Blogger Swami said...

Hi Angel. I am the Fairy of Tallness. I reach an endless amount of items from the top shelf for little old ladies who are out shopping on their own recognizance. I never mind it. After 20 years in the same store I also know where everything is!

Men asking stupid questions is what gets me. I was trying to pick out some nice preserves to put into thumbprint cookies for Christmas. Some guy asked me to explain the difference between jelly and jam. No problem, I told him. Then he picked up another jar, looked confused and asked me again. Told him again. Then he picked up yet another jar and asked me yet again! So I told him again. When he picked up the fourth jar and turned to me looking confused I pretended I couldn't see him and pushed my cart away.

I had to go back to jams at the end of my shopping trip when I was pretty sure he had either found an acceptible product or been punched out by someone even less charitable than I.

7:41 AM  
Blogger lights said...

I've had a few Angel of the Aisle moments in the grocery store too. I especially love the feeling I get when I help little gray-haired ladies.

Reading this gave me happy goosebumps.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Buggy hon. Say hi to Zuma and Katiebug for me. I love the Bugs!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Awww. That's so nice, Buggy. *smooch*

(I say give 'em a few more weeks and they'll be clawing your eyes out. Everyone is nice in beginning of the season. At least that's how it is around here. LOL.)

1:04 PM  
Blogger momma said...

*smooch*

You've given me chills. I've had a similar week this week and it just feels good.

Have a wonderful day, AngelBug!

6:15 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Buggy.

You are indeed an Angel.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I once potted in the grocery store. It was just me and a little old lady in the aisle. I gave her a disgusted look as if she had done it and then I stomped off acting offended.
I did feel bad about it and confessed my sin to Augie.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Buggy!

9:59 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Awww, Buggy! You'll always be our Angel!

I love when stuff like that happens!

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Monstah said...

Buggy makes me laugh. I am pretty sure I am not an angel. But I may have inadvertantly ran over some becuase of my cart rage.

*smooooooch*

6:32 AM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

Who can compete with THIS??? You are the Queen.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Maybe Buggy can start a "How To" blog on being nice and angel-like.

*smiles*

1:40 PM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Once upon a time, someone asked me to get something off a high shelf for them.

Ahhh, that is a fond memory.

Granted, she was 70 years old and about 3 feet tall.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Where are you? I am missing reading your posts!

Hope all is well.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home