Bug Soup

A Broth of Rambling Thoughts ( with some morsels of 'silly' thrown in for flavor)

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Smell My Feet

Trick or Treat!

So we did the Trick or Treat thing tonight.
Why tonight?
Because that is when our neighborhood had it schedualed. See we live in one of those gated communites, and they do the T or T festivities a little differently.

First off, not all houses do the T or T. There are specific streets mapped out for the candy shake down.
It's usually pretty cool, since the streets on the route are blocked from car traffic ( kids can run all over) , and since it's a different set of streets every year people usually do it up big with the decorations. In the five years we've been here, our house was only on the route once, it was a blast!
Most people do the route in golf carts ( which is totally fun, and what we always did when Hubby had a friend who would lend us his cart) , anyone walking could catch a hayride trailer to and from the T or T route.
So this year we got no cart, but the T or T streets are near the clubhouse parking lot, so we decided to just walk it, figuring that if we pooped out we could ride a hay truck back to the parking.
They usually start at 6 for the little kids, 7:00 for the rest, and the T or T festivities run til 9:00. We left the house a little after 7 , not quite full dark, only to find that this year it was suppossed to be over at 8:30.
Huh?

The weather was beautiful! Didn't even need a sweater. I think that may be why so many people were out, and why so many houses were out of candy by 7:30.
My Kid looked great! She was a witch, and though she was a witch last year, we bought a new dress thing, and a broom.

There weren't as many streets on the route as last year, and they were mostly hilly streets.
Luckily I brought beer. ( The Bug ain't no dummy)
So the streets are packed with people, and mostly the houses are dark already. I don't know if folks ran out of candy, or were just being fuddy duddies.
( Hubby has a theory, it involves Scooter, I don't buy it).
We were home by 8:20 , and we walked the whole route!!!

What is wrong, is the people who turn out their porch lights and leave the pumpkins and decorations shining in the yard, and then don't answer their door. That is false advertising, right there.

So dissapointing.
The candy looty booty was a mere 40 pieces ( and 3 pennies from some cheap ass) , the nextdoor neighbor gave Kate about 10 pieces out of that.
We passed more dark houses than lit.
I really feel the worst for the littler kids, because the route was short, ( usually more streets) the houses were dark early, and that was the smallest take ever. We were home in an hour!
Kate looked cute though, so cute.

I like to say things while the kid is Trick or Treating.
I like to say, " Go take candy from strangers!"
Or , " Go shake down that house for sweets!"
I also like to cackle loudly, and make scary " WooooOOOOoooooo" noises.
My child is never amused, but she expects me to act like an idiot. It's my job, and I'm damned good at it. I even wore a big orange t-shirt with a pumpkin face on the front.
The better to embarress you with, my pretty!

So The Trick or Treat portion of the Holiday is over, and I still have four pumpkins to carve ( we've already roasted and eaten the seeds out of two of them, I love pumpkin seeds.)
I guess I'll have to buy some sale candy on Tuesday, because I feel so guilty for eating this FunSize of peanut M& M's when the Kid only got 40 pieces .

Oh, and she called her Daddy to bitch about the injustice of it all. HA!

****************

On a side note; I drove Smokey the truck today!
I pushed the clutch and got it up into 4 th gear. I even got into the driveway and parked without hitting anything!
I'll practice again tomorrow, because come Monday? I have to have a way to work.
Mommy loves you , Smokey!
OMG! I am driving a big ole Ford Pick-up! Stick! What is scarier than that?
Get off the road, I'm driving!!!!!

Happy Hauntings Ya'll!

8 Comments:

Blogger mm said...

LOL! You are so adorable Buggy! Your whole post made me smile. What a bunch of cheap asses! Pennies?!?

Good luck with the truck. You're a braver woman than I.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

People still give pennies?
Assholes. As least give quarters. Inflation and all.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

That sounds like fun! DH is taking seedling tomorrow night- I'm handing out candy w/ sprout.

(Just a side note as we speak- seedling is standing behind me on the chair and pulling my hair- arghhhhh)

Maybe you can take your little witch to other neighborhoods and take advantage of the fact that your neighborhood had theirs early...

7:08 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

We do T or T today because half the town shuts down for a huge parade on Halloween day. The cool thing is the kids can go to neighboring towns if they wish and go twice.

Your neighborhood sounds cool for T or T! As Rose said, take Katiebug to another neighborhood for some more T or T!

Don't worry, I bet you'll look cute driving Smokey!

10:37 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Sounds like T or T in your neighborhood is fun. I'm a Grinch when it comes to Halloween in that I don't decorate the house. Halloween is my least favorite holiday (is it truly a holiday?). But I make up for the lack of decorations by giving out good candy, and each kid gets a big ole handful, not just one little piece.

We might get 20 kids tomorrow. Maybe. The number of kids dwindles each year. There aren't as many young families in the neighborhood anymore.

I do enjoy seeing the little ones dressed up though.

Good luck with Smokey. I love driving a stick. So fun.

*smooch* to the bug

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, Buggy. Always a good read. Always puts a smile on my face or a tear in my eye. Happy Halloween!

7:07 PM  
Blogger momma said...

LOL I take it Smokey is DH's truck?

Come over tonight. We have TONS of candy and places to shake down.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeeey, you drove the truck! Good for you, WOOHOO! So...how'd you reach the pedals? Didja get those blocks? :D

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home