Bug Soup

A Broth of Rambling Thoughts ( with some morsels of 'silly' thrown in for flavor)

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Work Work Working

I worked 12 hours today.

Five hours at my Lunch Lady gig, then six hours at my retail job, add the errands I ran between jobs, and the time I spent getting the kid ready for school this morning, and I figure 12 hours ( at least, if I add drive time , I can add another hour).

And now it's after midnight, nearly one a.m. , I have to get up at 6:00, and I can't sleep.

I'm tired, and sore , and I've had 3 beers, and I am not at all sleepy.

Hubby is making more money now, and I know I got to drop one of these jobs soon. Unfortunately, the one I hate, pays more. And, I hate to quit anything.

If I was smart I'd half-ass the retail job, but I just can't do that. I work it , though it isn't a hard job, I make the effort to do it really well. I like it, but it pays for shit, and working nights is just tough.
I miss my kid.
It's only 3 nights a week ( they begged me to take more hours , so it's now 3 days instead of 2) , but that's so much time away from Kate.
The discount rocks though! We bought an armoire for Katie's room, and saved $120!!!!!

I really have started to dread my day job.
How many years can I stand over a fryer and still like myself?
I love the kids, but that's only an hour and a half out of five hours that it's fun.
But with the raise it pays better than I ever thought it would. ( It was a really good raise, more than I thought it'd be, more than any other part -time job in town )

I'm just not sure how much longer I can work 2 jobs. ( And it's really 3 jobs , because I still do the Housewife Mommy thing, with all the errands and time that involves)
But how do I quit?
And which one?
Who do I let down?

Oh! And get THIS!
Jesus Freak girl from my school job, has decided that she wants to work at my store!
She wants to apply at the same place I work, because I like it there, and so she thinks she will too!
ACK!
I can barely stand her at the one place!

It isn't just the preachy thing. She is one of those people who works slowly and leaves her job incomplete so someone else has to finish it for her. She does parts of her job wrong on purpose, so someone else has to always fix it for her. Even when you tell her how to do it right, she shrugs and does it wrong on purpose.
She is an inconsiderate co-worker!
She is the rudest person I know.
She likes me. I can't stand it!

But I can't be mean to her, because her husband died 2 months ago from a very painful 4 months of bone cancer. It was horrible , and I feel so bad for her and her kids.
I just can't hate someone I have that much empathy for, yet she is still such an unlikeable person.
Why does she have to want to work at both my jobs?

I should go to bed, try to get 5 hours of sleep, before it's time to go to work work work again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Hope that you got some sleep Buggy! Those part time jobs can really get to you after awhile.. It's a hard situation... you love the extra $$ but hate the time away from home..

rock/Buggy/hard place

(I was gonna give you some warm milk to help ya sleep, but I guess that wouldn't go well with the 3 beers, right?)

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a busy Bug, arencha? I'd want to work in your store too, but I wouldn't be preaching at you. We'd probably get in trouble for laughing too much :)

Nice to see you around again!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Lasann said...

there you go - anonymous is here to save the day!

Money vs work you like

That's a hard one.

8:39 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh Buggy... you are such a sweet person. That's why we all love you! ...because you take care of the Jesus freaks of the world! :P

Congrats on hubby's job! Yay! I totally hear you on the don't want to quit thing. Hope you figure out what to do soon.

*smooch*

1:45 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Buggy! When you get a chance, you must go see the picture of baby Meemo on his blog. ;-)

(If you don't know where it is, there's a link on my blog.)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Silvergirl said...

I feel for you about the Jesus freak. I have a friend who is a PITA - needy and critical of me. I had a talk with DH about her and he told me to limit my association with her. I took steps to spend less time with her, but I will see her at church. That's enough for me. Oh, and she was widowed this past year, also. I do have empathy for her, but I don't need someone who is toxic in my life to make me feel worse, and neither do you, Bug!

I don't know how you could deal with her, but you are a nice person, so how could anyone not like you?

I'd say, pray or meditate about which job to quit. You know you can't trade money for time with Katie. It's just not worth it. Before you know it, you will be an empty nester (I'm not looking forward to it, either).

*Hugs* Hope you get some good sleep.

12:55 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Busy, busy bug. My suggestions, as someone that has worked multiple jobs MANY times:

1. Look at the one that makes you happiest (retail sounds like it's the one). Talk to them about the possibility of going full time. Or maybe you've already done this. A few more hours at this job may make up for the hourly difference.

2. Set an end date for the retail job. Can you stick it out through the new year? They'd love that. If not (you might need Katie time around the holidays), they are used to hearing I QUIT a lot. Sad, but true.

12:25 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Two things I forgot:

Adding the "Or" between suggestion 1 & 2 and *smooches* to the bug.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home