Bug Soup

A Broth of Rambling Thoughts ( with some morsels of 'silly' thrown in for flavor)

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Life on the Frog Farm

Who can say they grew up on a Frog Farm?

I guess my siblings can, but their memories aren't as clear.

I've been thinking about writing about my grandparents farm.
About what I learned there, about frogs and life and stuff.
They didn't just raise frogs, they also raised chickens, and crickets and worms to feed the frogs and chickens too.

And they raised me.

Summer was the best time, because we got to go to the Frog Farm for days and days.
One time I spent the whole summer there.
All by myself.
No sibs, no parents, just me and the grandfolks and the frogs, for two whole months!
I was 11, I think, maybe 10.
Between the time when my Dad died and my Stepdad left.
Between childhood and responsibity.

Magic!

I mention it now because I am there again, in my heart.

After Uncle Stuart died last month my cousin asked me if there was anything of Stuart's that I wanted.
All his things were with her, because he'd moved there to die, and he did , 5 weeks after he got there.

Kelly - Is there anything you want? Anything you need from his things?
Buggy - Oh, there is one thing ... but I am sure that everyone else wants it.
Kelly - What? Tell me, no one else has asked for anything yet.
Buggy- The painting of the Farm? Does he still have that? You know, he and I, we loved that place like nowhere else on earth.
Kelly- It's here! You want it, it's yours!
Buggy- OMG! Really? I alwas loved it!
Kelly - Yes! I'll be in Texas next month, I'll bring it to you.
Buggy- Are you sure?
Kelly - Of course! It's yours.

I have it now , the painting.
There is no artist signature on it, it's just an oil painting of an old farmhouse in the desert with a barn off to the left, and mountains behind. A simple raw wood frame, not a masterpiece to anyone else.
I love it.
I loved that house, I loved that place.
I think my uncle would be happy that I have it, because I love it so. I think he knew that he and I loved that place the most.
The Frog Farm, was my favorite place on earth. Still.

The best days of my childhood were spent there.
It was sold years ago, I hear it's a vineyard now.
I probably wouldn't know it if I saw it. The frogs are gone for sure, and probably the house too.

But now I have it in oil, that moment in time and memory, when it was perfectly the perfect place.
That time and place when my grandparents raised frogs in a desert, when I rode a horse that was really a bike, when I was the only kid , for the best summer of my life.

They are all gone now, everyone who loved the Farm, all gone, except me.

I think maybe I should write about the Farm.
Who else grew up on a Frog Farm?
Only me.

19 Comments:

Blogger ~Nutz said...

I think that is a wonderful idea! I would love to read about the frog farm and all your lovely memories of it!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

*ribbit* Great story of great memories. As we get older, it's sad to know that we are sometimes the only ones left who remember something. Nobody left to share a particular memory with.

3:49 PM  
Blogger ilse said...

Buggy? I think you just did write about being on the Frog Farm, and did a damn fine job of it, too.

For an odd period of time in my life, my family raised worms. They're less exciting than frogs, I expect.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TYVM 4 stopping by hun !!!
I sincerely apprec it :)

I knew a fellow Texan would get it...

Cum again soon

9:54 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Your story made me cry, Buggy. A good cry.

I love your stories, Buggy. I'm glad you have that picture and I'm sure your Uncle Stuart is glad too.

*hugs*

2:58 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Very touching story, Buggy. *hugs*

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a Frog farm... very interesting! It's fabulous that you got the painting! What a great memory! A lovely story!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Supes said...

I could say that I grew up on a frog farm, but I'd totally be lying.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Happy Birthday, Buggy! *smooch*

11:36 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Wow Buggy. You write the bestest stories!

I'm deathly afraid of frogs, but after reading your story, I'm in love with the Frog Farm because of the happy memories it gives you. I'm thrilled that you have the painting.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

I think a Frog Farm sounds like a lovely place.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Syren said...

I ditto what Nutz said. I would too.

smooch

9:09 AM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Just stopping by to say

*smooch*

8:40 PM  
Blogger lights said...

I'm thinking it's about time for an update. I need a Buggy fix!!!

Hope things are well in your world Bughon!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Update, woman!!! *stomps*

9:51 AM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Oh no, there's a spammer running rampant in your comments!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I miss my bug!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Lasann said...

Oh Bug, that's so sweet. So good of your cousin to give you that painting. There are good people around.

I'm so glad you have these memories.

12:49 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Buggy! I miss you. *hugs*

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home