Bug Soup

A Broth of Rambling Thoughts ( with some morsels of 'silly' thrown in for flavor)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Uncle Stuart Passed - Mom came Home

I am sad to report that my Uncle Stuart passed away last Sunday.
He was in the care of my cousin and her husband when he passed during a nap.

I was lucky to be able to talk to him the Friday before he passed.
We loved him very much , and he is already missed.

He originally wanted to be buried in a cemetary plot that my mother owned , next to my father in California. It needed to be transferred into his name, and that was to be my job.
Seemed simple enough , send the title and a letter of our ( my siblings and I) intent to give the plot to Stuart , and a copy of her Death certificate to Forest Lawn with a check for the cost of the transfer ( $100) , and they would send each of us kids a form to sign and have notorized then they'd put it in his name.
Shouldn't have been a problem , time was a factor but it could be done quickly, hopefully before he passed.
Well, there was a problem, seemed getting my mother's death certificate was a huge problem.
It's been a year and a half since she passed, but I'd never had a need for the cert before. Usually these things are handled by funeral homes, but my mother had donated her body to a university .
I started by contacting Hood County, where she died. They didn't have it, so I sent the request form to Tarrant County, where she was moved. They called me and had no record of her death , so I contacted the donation center for the university. They showed the certificate had been issued in Hood County where she died.
I went personnaly into the Vital Stats office and talked to a very pleasant woman , who told me they didn't have any record of it, and that she must not have died in Hood County.
Yes, she did, I was there.
So run around from her, while I stood there and literally cried that it wasn't a matter of wanting the cert, I needed it, my uncle was dying, and I had to get this done. She offered to contact the state office, but for some reason there was never anyone in that office, for days. I contacted the state office, but all they could tell me was that I could send a request , and in 10 days ( if I wanted to pay extra) or 4 weeks, I'd have the information.
After a week of dealing with the clerk, calling her several times a day, and stopping in her office a few times, the cert was located. In her office. She had inadvertantly filed it under my mother's maiden name.
Too late, much too late.
She'd found it 3 days after my Uncle Stuart had passed.
A week after he made other arangements, I finally got it.


My Mother's ashes were delivered by mail yesterday . They are sitting on the table in the front hall.
The box is heavy.

12 Comments:

Blogger Buggy said...

I made some changes to the last entry, so if things look different, that's why.

I think it's better this way.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Oh Buggy, my condolences on the loss of your Uncle Stuart. How sad that there was such an f-up with the certificate.

*BIG BIG HUGS* Your mom is back home with you now.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Supes said...

I'm sorry about Uncle Stuart, Buggy.

2:10 PM  
Blogger kevingrout said...

Buggy, as much as I wish I could do more, I can offer you {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} all the way from Canada.

I'm so sorry about your Uncle Stuart. It's never easy to loose someone you love, and then to have to deal with everything else on top of it can just drain you.

You're in my prayers for what you're facing (and fwiw, I did pop by here yesterday).

2:35 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

*smooches* & Buggy {{{hugs}}}

9:06 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

My condolences, Buggy.

*huggah buggah*

9:50 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

*hugging Buggy even harder*

Love you, girl.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

*smooches and hugs to you, Buggy*

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm so sorry, Buggy. *hugs*

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Financial planning in pittsford new york whirlpool refrigerator filter Dolce gabbana coats Food network culinary schools

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home