Bug Soup

A Broth of Rambling Thoughts ( with some morsels of 'silly' thrown in for flavor)

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Yarn Math

I have been making a gift for my MIL
( Yes, the one who upsets me)
It's a shawl ( or, if she hates it, something to throw over a chair)
Each ball of yarn if 71 yards long.
I have just started on the 5th ball.
Every row takes me 10 to 15 minutes to knit ( I'm slow)
I have no idea how many rows I've knitted, I just know that it isn't done.
The yarn is so beautiful that I don't even have to be good.

I bought the yarn when I wasn't smoking, and each ball cost about a pack of cigs, so it's almost like the thing was free.
And each row was 15 minutes that I wasn't holding a cigarette.

And as bad as I am at knitting? It's beautiful.

I once babysat a toddler for a friend of my Husband, just for the craft hobby money.
For a YEAR!
I potty trained someone else's whiney 2 year old just to pay for my ceramics habit.
I made some cool stuff though.

When we had no money for craft supplies, I used to sculpt out of shredded newspaper, and glue and sand, and scraps of magazines.
Before the internet came to my house, I was an artist.

So if I knit 2 yards of yarn an hour, how long have I spent on this project?
How many cigs did I not smoke?
Will I finish it by next Tuesday?

16 Comments:

Blogger Surveysez said...

Nobody told me there was going to be a math test! Gack!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

My thoughts exactly, Survey. It's a weekend, by golly! Let's get Nutz to answer all math questions.

10:37 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

I gave up math the day I graduated from college. And that was a long time ago. Long long time.

:-)

Hi Buggy!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

3459873

4:40 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

I think we'll just go with Bob's answer. *grin*

So? any word about the job yet?
*waits very hopefully*

7:56 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

bob forgot to divide by two.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Buggy said...

I finished the shawl. Though I think it should have been narrower, and longer, I didn't use a pattern, and had no idea hat I was doing.

And the job? Someone else must have gotten it, because I never got a call back, and when I called today to inquire, someone new answered the phone.
There aren't any more jobs in the paper this week ( I'm not a qualified truck driver), so I guess my great job search has failed miserably.
I know I shouldn't feel bad about it, but I do.
Thanks for all the good thoughts, and kind words of encouragement.

1:28 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Awww, Buggah! Your search has not failed miserably! The right job is out there for you and it will come along when the time is right. Fate has a way of working these things out. Believe me.

Chin up! *smooch*

9:13 AM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Sorry about the job, Buggy.

I *heart* you no matter what though.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. A lot.
2. A lot.
3. If you pick up your pace, you could finish by Wednesday.

I have become a little craft ho myself lately.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

Hiiiiiiiiiii, Buggy!

I have a new blog. There's a linky in my profile. I miss you. I think I might be back alive, sort of. We'll see ;-).

11:37 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

375.2
375.2
Yes.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Supes said...

Hooray for finishing the shawl!

This calls for a cigarette!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

LOL@ Supes!

Hey Buggy, will you knit me a pot holder?

Love,

true

9:08 AM  
Blogger Buggy said...

I will knit you 2 potholders,True!

Right after I finish these drapey things I am making for the side windows next to the frontdoor.
I am knitting with kitchen string I bought from the dollar store, it looks cool. ( and it's cheap)

Oh and btw, according to Katie, the shawl was a bigger hit than I knew.
The MIL LOVED it!
She showed it to everyone, and wore it, and used it as a lap blanket, and bragged about it.
Never underestimate the power of good yarn.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... computer school chicago http://www.botoxmanufacturersinfrance.info blackjack online Chapter bankrupsy 401k Compare uk life assurance premiums fire x smoke alarm Reviews bagless vacuum cleaners Celexa symptoms withdrawal aluminum awning Ethiopia soccer Evaporative humidifier kaz Computer support dfw Aqua leisure sa3768 filter Alliance battlefront freelance star war Diazepam use trimester pregnancy http://www.ford-ka-1.info/Ferrari.html

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home