Bug Soup

A Broth of Rambling Thoughts ( with some morsels of 'silly' thrown in for flavor)

Monday, April 28, 2008

Books

It was a booky weekend at my place.

We finally returned the late library books. I had one that somehow didn't get returned when the others did, and my daughter had 4 from when a friends mom took the girls. We have had these books in our home for 8 years.
EIGHT YEARS!

So I found them recently while doing the clean up organize the house thing. I was horrified, so embarrassed. I'd like it noted that I never received a letter from them at all, but we stopped going because I knew about the book that I needed to return.

I sucked it up and went to the library Friday, fully expecting to be hauled off the jail. They tell me the books are no longer in their system, and the charge is for the purchase price of the books, not the fines. Good thing because I peeked around at her screen and the late fees for the one adult book would have been $167! So she is very sweet, and tells me the cost of the books is $65, but they are in such good condition that she is going to talk to her manager about them, see what she can do.
Okay, this is it, this is where she sneaks away to call the LibraryPoliceman ( and thanks to Stephen King, I'm really afraid) .
She comes back and informs me that since they are in such good condition the fines will be $3 a book. Huh? Fifteen dollars after 8 years?
And then she offers to make us new cards.
WHAT? You mean your going to let us check books out again? It's a crime to not return library books, and you are going to let criminals like us have more?

So we spent a lovely hour and a half, walking through the stacks, Kate checked out 2 books from the YA section, I got 5. I was still waiting for the catch until we got to the car.
I am a library person again!

I also have a big box of books here that I am going to take by to donate, it'll help my guilty conscience.

Saturday we went back for the Library Book Sale!

Every year there is a huge used book sale. Rooms of tables filled with books! Some are old ones from the library , most are donated. Every kind of book you could want, and videos, textbooks, everything.

I bought 14 hardcover books, 6 paperbacks, and a videotape movie. All for $16

I am a happy Bug.

12 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Yay books!

I have an endless streak of returning books late. In fact, I am 90% certain there is a book in my apartment which is currently overdue.

The sad part is, the library is 4 blocks away.

I just don't feel like going out in the rain.

Oh well. An extra quarter or whatever isn't going to kill me.

Free books - that's the shit right there. I recommend Kurt Vonnegut.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

woohooo! I'm glad it turned out well and now you have an awesome stash.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Oh fer heck did you ever score, girl. *high fives*<--for not ending up in debtors prison or library prison or wherever they send the library stealers. And also for getting so many books for such a great price. Yay you.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Tummy said...

Good going Buggy! Did you give librarian sad puppy dog eyes? I have to do that with the movie rental guy every.single.time we rent movies. *sigh

Is your reading soul a little happier?

9:35 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Our library has an ongoing fundraiser, selling used books. I recently checked out Steve Martin's book "Born Standing Up," which I read on my vacation. They let me check it out for an extra week so it wouldn't be overdue when I returned.

I wonder if you went to jail because of this, if they'd let you use the jail library.

8:28 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Awww, what nice library peeps!

Isn't the library fun? I could wander for hours. I realize that I'm interested in a lot of things when I go to the library.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa McMann said...

You crack me up! Eight years, yeah baby. I have a feeling we have some books like that here too.

By the way, I tagged you in a meme...

http://lisamcmann.blogspot.com/2008/05/tagged.html

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growing up, I lived right next door to a library. I spent many days there. Many. There were a couple of days when I did get in trouble for being too loud.

Also, I had a state refund tax check garnished one time for books - like 8 years later. You are lucky!!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Landru said...

Criminal.

6:59 AM  
Blogger dragonflies said...

I'm glad it all turned out so well! It is very intimidating having to fess up, isn't it!

I love our library. We have a bunch of libraries that you can order a book from any of them, and have it delivered to any of them, for you to pick up. Then you can return it to any of them. I love it.

OH, and Buggy, you've been tagged.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

Yeah I suck at returning books too. So much I gave up on libraries and just use the used book store. Whenever I run out of credit there, I go garage saling, buy a bunch of paperbacks for like 25 cents each and turn them in for more credit (1/4 of the cover price). I just don't have the selection of a true library, but also no library guilt.

1:46 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

I love libraries. Love them.

*hugs the bug*

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home